Sunday, January 22, 2012

Herbal Soap Adventure - Preparations

I read somewhere that when someone becomes interested in herbs that eventually it leads to  making herbal soaps.  For me, that apparently is true.  There are so many wonderful herbal remedies I am learning about and I am anxious to try my hand at applying that knowledge to the soap ingredients.
After a little research, I decided that I would like to try cold process soap.  I have my lye and have now ordered various oils that I need.    While waiting for those to arrive, I started looking at soap molds.  
They can be very expensive but I found a lot of fantastic ideas for every day items you can use to mold your soap!  For instance, pvc pipe of different sizes...
When my husband realized I was headed for the garage...and his power tools, he graciously decided to help me.  He used 2 1/2 and 3 inch pipe and cut and sanded them to different lengths for me to try out.

Another idea I read about was using plastic drainage pipe...so off we went to home depot.  I love that people are always so helpful in this store but sometimes I really hate to explain why I am there.  Seldom am I buying something for its intended use.  Like last summer when I was looking for stump remover to make a homemade smoke bomb and the salesman launched into a very lengthy explanation of the best way to remove my stump...I didn't have the heart to tell him what I really wanted it for....but I digress.

We found the plastic drainage pipe and my DH cut and sanded that for me as well.  It has little ripples in it and should make some very interesting looking soap!
Last but not least, I saw that many companies sell nice wooden soap molds that come apart to remove the soap when it is ready.  Having discovered that these wooden soap molds can be expensive, I went to youtube where there appears to be a video for everything you are interested in learning, and found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yog0-s9OsDA tutorial on making my very own wooden soap mold.  Once again, my main man came to the rescue and actually built me 2 soap molds!
 Can't wait to try them out!

Poppy was skeptical about the whole venture and due to the corgi's natural priorities...she believes that if it isn't food related, it is probably a waste of  time.

No comments:

Post a Comment