Monday, January 23, 2012

Hand-milled Soap

Hand-milled, french-milled and rebatched  are all terms that refer to a particular method of soap making.  Taking an existing soap base, melting it down then adding your own oils, fragrances and herbs to make something new.  Since I am waiting for materials to arrive to get started making cold process soap, I decided to give this a try.


I purchased hypoallergenic unscented soap from the Dollar Tree.  

 Grated 4lbs of it...which was actually quick and easy.  I put it in the crock pot to melt

added some lavender essential oil and calendula flowers 

Here it is in the mold!
This whole process took much longer than anticipated  so by the time I finished, everyone was in bed sleeping.  When I got to the part where I am supposed to bang the mold on the counter to get the bubbles out...well let's just say it made quite a racket!  While the kids slept right through it, it gave my husband a scare...next time I will take that little time issue into account...lol.


I had a little soap left over after filling my mold and found the idea to make it into balls.  Definitely makes some interesting little hand soaps!  They actually look kind of tasty so I was sure to put them on the desk rather than leave them in the kitchen where a hungry teen might come across them : )

No comments:

Post a Comment