Sunday, September 16, 2012

Birthday Knitting Needles

A friend recently had a birthday and since she loves all things pink...and is quite crafty...I decided to try making her a pair of knitting needles to match her personality!  I looked at several ideas and after trying to whittle some out of sticks from the yard...lol...there will be no pictures of those today...I opted to take a shortcut and use dowel sticks.

I had dowels of all sizes from a yard sale find so I selected a pair and cut them off to make them 10 inches long.  Sharpened one end with a pencil sharpener to make a dull point, sanded well and put on some beeswax to seal and polish a bit.  Had some wooden beads just the right size and painted them.  Now my artistic abilities are severely limited so I warned her not to look at that part too closely.  I sprayed a clear sealer on the beads and after they were completely dry I put a little glue in the inside of each bead and slid them on.  what I found was it helped to have some extra dowels you don't mind getting paint on for ease in the painting and drying process.
After I finished my pink beads, I played around with a few others...as I said, not a lot of talent going on in the
 painting department...lol!


I have a fall planter that I usually put flower pins in at this time of year and for the day they housed a variety of knitting needles as they dried.  my husband said it looked like an alien on the cabinet

...and he says I have a wild imagination.

1 comment: