Thursday, February 9, 2012

Laundry Soap Day

Many people make their own laundry soap these days and I have joined their ranks.  Using the recipe from the Dugger's website -- which you can find here:  http://duggarfamily.com/content/duggar_recipes/30455/homemade_liquid_laundry_soap_front_or_top_load_machine_best_value  
I decided to give it a go.  It will be much more cost effective, I will know exactly what is in it, and it will be a very long lasting supply!  
When I first read about this and heard rave reviews from others, I was skeptical and worried the ingredients would be hard to locate.  Not so, I found all my ingredients in our local wal-mart at inexpensive prices.

 The recipe calls for a 5 gallon bucket with lid.  You can usually ask at the bakery department of any grocery store and they will be willing to give you a few of these.  When they are empty they just get thrown out and the few times I have asked I was able to get one.  I was pressed for time, so this bucket I actually bought for $4.88 and it is a good sturdy bucket and the lid snaps tightly on.

 I found the ingredients I needed right next to the laundry soap. The Borax was $3.38 and the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda $3.24.  Those 2 will last me quite a while and will make many batches of laundry detergent!

  The fels-naptha is a thick and rich soap that was a little sticky to grate but just took a few minutes. It was only $.97 a bar!

 I added my grated soap to the hot water, stirring constantly until it was melted

 I have a set of wooden spoons that I use in my various soap making and mark clearly that they only for that purpose. 

Finally I added my soap mixture to the hot water already in my bucket, put in my washing soda and Borax, added the additional water that was called for and gave it all a good stir.  Now I will leave it to sit overnight and tomorrow show an updated picture along with some of the little extras I plan to add to personalize my laundry soap and give a little more detail on just how to use this now that it is made!.  



No comments:

Post a Comment